Monday, December 15, 2008

Meet the Turtle Officers from Banyan Tree Resort

In 2003, MCSS launched its Nesting Turtle Monitoring Programme in the South of Mahé with funding from the Banyan Tree Resort’s Green Imperative Fund. In November 2004, a training session which included a practical session on how to tag a nesting turtle was organised for Banyan Tree staff in collaboration with Dr Jeanne Mortimer, Turtle Consultant. After which, annual refresher courses where carried out by MCSS Research Officer, Elke Talma, at the beginning of the turtle nesting season in 2005, 2006, 2007 and more recently, on the 25th of September 2008.With the recent launch of the MCSS turtle blog, we have asked the 2008 Turtle Officers from Banyan Tree Resort to introduce themselves:

Adam Abdulla assisting with beach rehabilitation at Intendance beach, photo Elke Talma

Hi, my name is Adam Abdulla from Maldives, and I have worked at Banyan Tree Resort, Seychelles at Intendance beach on Mahé island as a coconut tree climber for almost five years. In 2003, I began assisting with the MCSS – Banyan Tree Turtle Monitoring Programme and in 2004 was taught how to tag nesting turtles by Dr Jeanne Mortimer. I have also attended the annual refresher training sessions organised by Elke.

During the nesting season, I come to work early and walk the beach in search for nesting turtles. If I am lucky enough to see one, I sit with her until she finishes laying – usually surrounded by a group of exited tourists from the Resort. As she makes her way back down the beach, I will measure and tag her and pass all the information I have gathered on to Elke. Over the years, Elke and I have become good friends and I enjoy working with her – even when she gets a bit bossy!

While I enjoy seeing nesting turtles, I prefer releasing hatchlings because seeing them heading out into the wide open sea, makes me realise that I have done my bit to accomplished my personal mission towards environmental protection.

Danny Bibi assisting with beach rehabilitation at Intendance beach, photo Elke Talma

Hi, my name is Danny Bibi and I have been working at Banyan Tree Resort, Seychelles since 2001 as a gardener. In 2004, I began assisting with the MCSS – Banyan Tree Turtle Monitoring Programme. In 2005, I formally joined the Turtle Monitoring Team after attending training with Elke.

Over the years, I have seen turtles tagged by Adam and Elke return to Intendance beach to nest again. I am hoping that eventually, one of “my” turtles will return! I find this extremely satisfying, as its shows there is hope for the future. With any luck (… and a lot of dedication), my grandchildren can appreciate what many take for granted today.

Growing up in Seychelles, I use to eat turtle meat but since working with the Turtle programme I have stopped this bad habit. I like working with Elke as she is someone you can trust and always has a smile on her face.

Paul Isaac from Banyan Tree Resort, photo Elke Talma

Hi, my name is Paul Isaac and I am a Garden Supervisor at Banyan Tree Resort, Seychelles. I have worked at Banyan Tree for seven years now and in 2006 began assisting with the Turtle programme. I formally joined the Turtle Monitoring Team in 2008, after attending training with Elke.

I like being part of the Turtle Team as I want to protect turtles so that my kids will be able to see a nesting turtle someday. The information I collect, is important because it allows us to track turtle movements both during and between nesting seasons. So far, we know that most turtle come back to Banyan Tree to nest but every now and again one of our turtles is spotted by Elke, nesting on a neighbouring beach.

I am always thinking about the future, which is why I enjoy releasing turtle hatchlings. It is gratifying to see then crawling down the beach, determined to make their mark on the world.

Christophe Belle with his first turtle, photo Elke Talma

Hi, my name is Christophe Belle. I am a Seychellois and began working at Banyan Tree Resort, Seychelles in June 2007 as a gardener. In September 2007, I joined the Turtle Team after attending training with Elke. In December, I also volunteered to manage the Wetlands at Banyan Tree and share my time between turtles and terrapins.

Whenever is see a nesting turtle, I make sure I report the sighting. While I am not authorised to tag turtles (Elke is very strict with her training and thinks I should spend more time on the beach and less time in the wetlands!), I know that the information I collect will help us better understand and therefore, protect our turtles.

Although it is important to protect turtles, it is just as important to protect their nesting sites because without the nesting beaches, turtles will eventually go extinct.

No comments: