Monday, January 29, 2018

Nathalie the new turtle volunteer

truly enjoying the experience
My name is Nathalie and I've come here for a voluntary mission of 1 month. I am really interested in conservation issues since I decided to make drastic changes in my life, quitting my work in finance to dedicate myself in marine environmental sciences. Coming here is providing me with a good insight of different activities and projects that can be done within a conservation center. I am mainly taking part in Vanessa's project with Nina, performing patrols and monitoring turtles (populating the database, using software faces recognition...). More than helping them directly on the field, the final aim is trying to get a better understanding of turtles' behavior, in order to create the best Temporal Protected Areas for a sustainable preservation. This relates with other current studies like beach profiling, mapping, fauna, flora and sand analysis.

turtle encounter on the nesting beach
Since being here, I had the luck to see 5 nesting Hawksbill turtles, including two which were laying and 2 hatchlings emerging from their nest. It's always emotional moments and I feel really privileged to be able to assist that, especially since the Hawksbill is a critically endangered species.

clearing the path for the little ones
I am also helping to educate classes from primary schools when they come to visit the centre. Raising children's awareness is very important as we can expect them to feel more involved in preserving the environment in the future, be it in Seychelles or anywhere else.

Another thing that is really enjoyable here is wildlife centre and the ability to welcome wild animals for rehabilitation. The care is not only provided to terrapins, sea and land turtles, but also to any animal that can be properly nursed, like baby birds. Pets are also welcome and an X rays is accessible to anybody who needs a diagnostic of their lovely animal.


checking out the terrapins
welcoming the land tortoises for rehabilitation
My wishes for MCSS and Seychelles is that legislation will support all the efforts made by NGOs and take appropriate measures to help to fight against poaching as much as possible.  



No comments: