Thursday, November 30, 2017

Salome is back!

Hello All !
I'm back in Seychelles! I missed the turtles so much....I started in mid November.
The season was a bit weird, not a lot of turtles were coming to nest.... Maybe because of the el Nino in 2016, because of hurricane...?? We have to figure out what happened.
turtle patrol on Anse Corail
Hopefully since one week ago, I'm relieved to see the turtles are arriving! The numbers of tracks are increasing and the nests too: I had my first encounter for the season since I’ve been back.
Monday was a crazy...but exciting day, we had two turtles that came to nest... I could see all the process of the nesting behavior, because she had just arrived on the beach when we saw her. She had started with the body pit, and then she dug the nest with precision and laid. This turtle actually laid approximately 256 eggs…Incredible!...a new record definitely as Vanessa- the Project Leader said her record was 211 eggs counted during the laying process of one turtle.
tracks of poached turtle
Unfortunately, we also have had some poaching episode, I hope it will stop soon and people will understand that these turtles are critically endangered and they need our help to keep their population stable.

Continue to follow us, the season is not finished…in fact it is just starting to peak up!

No comments: